Friday 8 February 2013

What's in a name?

Weddings mark a time of many changes. While not as common as in the past, it is tradition for the bride to take the last name of the groom. I plan on following this tradition, and will eventually take John's last name. Using this tradition as inspiration, I set out to create a DIY sign. I came across a unique idea on Pinterest that used nails and yarn to create a heart shape (for bookmarks on this specific project, click here).

I decided to try the same project, only instead of using one shape I decided to attempt using the five letters in my future last name.

Supplies:
  1. A piece of wood (I used a wooden shelf I found this at Value Village for $2.99)
  2. Blue and black acrylic paint (I had this laying around my house)
  3. A screw driver
  4. A hammer
  5. Nails (size can very depending on the thickness of the wood)
  6. Paint brush
  7. Sand paper
  8. Paper letter stencils
  9. Container for paint

Directions:
  1. Begin by removing any imperfections on your piece of wood. As I was using a former shelf, I removed the hooks. This wasn’t really required, but I felt it would look better in the end.
  2. Depending on the type of paint you are using, sand down the piece of wood prior to beginning. This step will depend on the type of wood you use.
  3. Paint the entire piece of wood and let dry. I wanted a deep blue colour, which I achieved by mixing black and blue paint.
  4. Arrange letter stencils on the piece of wood and tape down. Make sure each letter is secure, as you don’t want them moving during the next step.
  5. Carefully begin hammering a trail of nails along the outline of each letter. This is the most time consuming and tedious part of the project, as each nail needs to be evenly spaced apart.
  6. Remove the letter stencils, revealing an outline of nails in the shape of the name.
  7. Begin stringing yarn between the nails on each letter. I did not follow any specific pattern, but only attempted to have each letter filled completely before finishing. I also chose to include an outline upon finishing each letter but I feel this is optional.
  8. Cut loose any stray strands of yarn, being careful not to cut any yarn being used in the project. If one strand gets cut accidentally, the entire letter will unravel.

I’m very happy with how this project turned out. It ended up taking me a total of 4 hours to complete including painting and allowing it to dry, but thankfully I was able to do most of it while watching TV. I imagine using this sign somewhere on the gift table. I might add something to it before the wedding, but for now its perfect the way it is. 

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I have a friend who is getting married soon, I am going to pass this along to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Great idea and looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crafting and watching TV/Movies is a great way to spend time in the winter! Couple that with a mug of warm cocoa or tea and my day is made :) Although I am not getting married, this is a really cool idea for displaying any word. I'm thinking of gifts for other people with the word "Friends" or something? Done are my days of spending money! Plus homemade equals more love, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wicked. Would look great in a childs room. Or with a family name for someone getting married. Like you! Love it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete